BillerudKorsnäs has opened up one of Europe's largest and most efficient MG paper machines
Today, BillerudKorsnäs has opened one of Europe's largest and most efficient MG paper machines at Skärblacka production unit outside Norrköping in Sweden. The opening ceremony was held by BillerudKorsnäs President and CEO Petra Einarsson, retiring Governor of Östergötland County Elisabeth Nilsson, acceding Governor of Östergötland County Carl Fredrik Graf and Factory Manager of Skärblacka Production Plant Håkan Krantz. More than 500 people attended the ceremony at the Trozelli Gallery in Norrköping.
The investment of approximately SEK 1.3 billion, partly in an upgraded existing paper machine and partly in a new machine for machine glazed kraft paper (MG paper), is part of BillerudKorsnäs venture to create a world-leading MG center in Skärblacka. The investment enhances BillerudKorsnäs product mix, lays the foundation for a broader product portfolio with higher value added and demonstrates that the company strengthens its leading position as global supplier of kraft paper for packaging purposes.
The applications for machine glazed kraft paper range from consumer goods to industrial products such as fat-resistant paper for consumer bags and fast food markets, barrier paper for dairy products such as butter packaging and paper for sealing medical disposable items.
Both the new MG machine and the capacity enhancement of existing machines opens new as well as enables growth in attractive market segments, while at the same time the investment as a whole provides a solid foundation for further development of Skärblacka as a world-leading MG center.
"It is with great joy and pride that we today have opened one of Europe's largest and most efficient MG machines. With this effort, we have strengthened our position as world leader in MG paper and also laid a solid foundation for further development of our product mix and offering," says Petra Einarsson, President and CEO of BillerudKorsnäs.
Facts about BillerudKorsnäs MG Center at Skärblacka production unit:
- Investment amount: SEK 1.3 billion
- Production capacity: 460,000 tonnes/year, of which 180,000 tonnes of MG paper, making the mill the largest facility for machine glazed kraft paper in Europe
- Number of employees: approximately 740 people - an increase of more than 50 employees in 2018
- Previous press releases and news about BillerudKorsnäs MG investment:
- BillerudKorsnäs invests for growth and efficiency in packaging paper https://www.billerudkorsnas.com/media/press-releases/2016/billerudkorsnas-invests-for-growth-and-efficiency-in-packaging-paper
- Future Platform MG https://www.billerudkorsnas.com/about-us/investments/future-platform-mg
- Production start for paper machine 10 in Skärblacka https://www.billerudkorsnas.com/media/news/2018/production-start-for-paper-machine-10-in-skarblacka
- More information about Skärblacka production unit https://www.billerudkorsnas.com/about-us/our-production-units/skarblacka
Photo from left to right: Petra Einarsson President and CEO BillerudKorsnäs, Carl Fredrik Graf acceding Governor of Östergötland County, Elisabeth Nilsson , retiring Governor of Östergötland County and Håkan Krantz Manager of Skärblacka Production Plant.