Gruvön

In Gruvön, cup stock, fluting, formable paper, kraft paper, liners, sack paper and liquid packaging board are produced. In addition, there is a development center with expertise within packaging optimization.

About Gruvön

Our production facility Gruvön, nineteen miles west of Karlstad in Värmland, is a world-leading manufacturer of fluting (New Billerud Flute®, the world's strongest semi-chemical fluting), liners, kraft paper, sack paper, formable paper (FibreForm®), liquid packaging board and cup stock intended for users with very high demands on efficient, creative and functional packaging solutions. In Gruvön is also produced market pulp.

The fluting (the wavy layer of corrugated board) is used for fragile and heavy industrial products as well as for for food packaging. The liner is used as a surface layer in packaging for luxury, beauty and fashion products as well as for food and groceries. The kraft paper is used for a variety of industrial and medical applications as well as for dry foods such as flour, sugar, pasta and grains. The sack paper is used for industrial packaging such as cement bags or for consumer products such as animal feed. The formable paper opens up opportunities for new design and packaging solutions in a variety of applications including mugs, bags, cards, cartonboards, shaped containers and trays. The liquid packaging board is used as packaging for milk, juice, yogurt and other liquid foods.

In Gruvön there is also a development center (Box Lab and Pack Lab), with expert knowledge in packaging optimization. For example, in Gruvöns development center our revolutionary formable paper, BillerudKorsnäs FibreForm®, has been developed.

Facts

Products: Cup Stock > Fluting >  Formable Paper >  Kraft Paper Medical >  Kraft Paper Bags > Kraft Paper Speciality > Liners >  Pulp > Sack Paper > Liquid Packaging Board >

Market segment: Industrial >  Consumer & Luxury >  Food & Beverages >

Production capacity: 710 000 tonnes/year

Number of emloyees: 900

Related links: Next Generation >  Box Lab > Seal Lab >

Sustainability & Documents

Sustainability report >

Certificates & Regulatory > 

Business Policy >


History

As a farm property, Gruvön is known from the fifteenth century. In 1890, Patron Gustav Hallgren took over the manor house and started a sawmill operation. In 1918, the farm property and sawmill were taken over by Billerud's limited company. Christian Storjohann, then managing director of the company, had bought up a large proportion of the small forest-owning companies that existed in western Värmland, thus providing the company with a significant forest holding. He had also added a number of pulp mills and sawmills to the company. In 1929, the decision was made to establish a sulphate factory at Gruvön. A digester and two paper machines were built. In 1931 one of the machines was taken into production with a capacity of 16,000 tonnes per year and the factory had about 200 employees. In 1936 a sack factory was added and between 1946 and 1968 three new paper machines were built. In 1978 Billerud was merged with Uddeholm and the company was then bought by the businessman Anders Wall. 1984 the company was acquired by Stora, which joined forces with Finnish Enso in 1998 and formed Stora-Enso. In 2001, Gruvön's paper mill was merged with AssiDomän's paper mill in Skärblacka and Karlsborg and formed Billerud AB. 2012 the merger between Billerud and Korsnäs was concluded and the new company, BillerudKorsnäs, was founded.

Career

BillerudKorsnäs challenges conventional packaging for a sustainable future. Are you interested in working with us? Welcome to visit our career pages.

Contact and visiting information

Watch our visiting movie (subtitled in English)

 

Switchboard: +46 555 410 00

Press service. For media inquiries only.
Telephone: +46 771 141 411
Mail: press.gruvon@billerudkorsnas.com

Mia Sundvisson
Communication Manager

Peter Lindgren
Mill director

Mats Ganrot
Manager environment

Carina Fridell
Acting HR manager

BillerudKorsnäs Gruvön
SE-664 28 Grums,
Sweden

Visiting address:
Storjohanns väg 4